11 December 2010

the numbers

People love numbers. 

 $1,000 is better than $100. Right? 

Maybe, but with $1,000 comes more choices to spend it on, and I would go as far as to say that most people would not be more charitable with it. 

Luke 16:10 "One who is faithful in a very little is also faithful in much, and one who is dishonest in a very little is also dishonest in much"

Numbers can become obsessive. For the last few months I basically kept my facebook account active so I could push content to the most people. If I shared a link on FB, I would always get more traffic and page views. Then, I started questioning why that was even important. 

I realized I was only sharing things so people would read them. That is silly. 

I was also not consistent at all when I would share anything, and found myself falling into the flow of consumption rather than creation. But I kept my account for a least a month after realizing this because "I could share stuff with more people!" But, if I cannot be happy sharing content with a few people, then I will never be happy sharing my content with thousands. 
At the end of the day the masses do not define me, and they do not define you either. 

If I want to produce anything great, I know it is going to start with me being honest and sharing stuff whether anyone reads it or not. 

Now that facebook is gone, I interact with fewer people, and my number of site views has dropped like flies....but. I have written more posts and been more honest in the last few days than I have all year. Numbers will not define the success of my sharing. I am cultivating real friendships, and the ones I have online are only being strengthened. I have so much more room in my brain to think and give attention to other people because I am no longer obsessed with obscure numbers and online stats. 

Less can be more. 
Number can be useful, but sometimes it is also useful to wipe the slate clean.

Posted via email from jameseaton's posterous

No comments: