04 December 2008

Discomfort drives Passion

If it's not broken... don't fix it.

Ever heard that before?

What if something is broken? What do we do? We may get a little upset, then we do something about it.

When I am riding my bike and the chain comes off, I get a little mad (because I have to stop, put it back on, get grease on my hands, and fix it), but I fix it. I do not ride around thinking, "well, I am sure this is not the best choice, but I just do not want to get off my bike and put my chain on..."

That would be crazy! Your momentum would stop in a few seconds and you would be stuck.

Sometimes things are not the way we want; things happen that are not good or expected.



Jesus, God's son, asked for the cup to be taken from his hands before his crucifixion. He was not comfortable, but his passion drove him to follow God's will.

Culture has changed, some churches understand that, some don't. People who are ok with the way things are do not see any need to change. They would subscribe to the. "not broken, don't fix" plan.

Other people recognize the need, and do something about it. It may not be easy, comfortable, simple, and people may even get mad.... yes it will happen. This is a hard concept for me; I do not like to have anyone upset. In fact, I will go out of my way to keep people from being upset. But there are things that are  more important then what I think.

Reaching lost people is important!!! Making disciples is important!!!!! Fighting about lighting and the style of music in the church is not!!!!

But it is not really about the style of music, or using video elements in the service... it is about people who want to be selfish and enjoy the "serve me, feed me" attitude of the church. Church becomes a place where you go, put in your time, lie about how you are doing, then go eat lunch.

Sounds more like a club than a church.

 What if we went to church expecting to hear from God, praying that he would make us uncomfortable, and move us to a place of action. Discomfort drives action.

I am not comfortable with the fact that people are going to hell because we argue about the carpet color and forget that there is a lost world outside.
 

      I think the devil loves the church when fight and argue. He wins we are divided.

That should piss you off. Discomfort drives passion.


3 comments:

Tiger Brooks said...

I am part of history... cool.

Anonymous said...

I think you think like I do! Good points! Now, exactly what do I win for being a part of your history :)
Peace and Grace, from a fellow Kingsporter! Found you on Twitter!

James Eaton said...

Just knowing that you helped make blog history...and that all your dreams will come true. That might not actually happen