28 July 2008

Summer in review...

WHAT!

I can't believe that it is time for this blog post; I remember writing the one about finishing my freshman year like it was yesterday, and now it is time to sum up my summer in a few short paragraphs.

This has been a summer unlike any other. It has been great, fast, strange, and new all at the same time. Here we go......

- Job- This summer I have been working at ISBC as Tiger's intern. I have had such a great experience and learned so much. I have helped plan a mission trip to PA, I have done all sorts of office things, and I was even able to do a 3-week series that I wrote for the students on Wednesday nights. You can go to classes in school and read about ministry in books, but there is nothing more helpful and meaningful than actually getting involved. Tiger has been such a great mentor and friend this summer. It is amazing how all of this came together, but I am so glad that it did. This has been a great experience and a nice transition from being in the youth group to having leadership with them. The students at ISBC are awesome, they have made this job wonderful (so if any students at ISBC are reading this..... you all are a blessing and such a source of encouragement to me)

-Home- Living at home has been different this summer, not a bad different, just different. I remember when I was leaving for college, my Grandfather told me that things would never be the same when I came home.... and he was right. I felt a little bit like a guest the first few weeks of summer. My family had a routine that they had been doing without me for a while, so I just tagged along. Even though I have been living in the same room since I was in the 3rd grade, it feels different. I missed my family while I was away, but it also made me appreciate them more. I am not saying that I love my family more while I was away, but it made me realize how much I loved them while I was away. Things will never be the way they were, and I have a feeling that next summer will be even more different than this one.

Biking- It seems that I have become obsessed with Biking. I used to ride some... but it had been a while. When we purchased another car this summer, we got one with a hitch for our bike rack and sailboat. The day after we got the car, I started riding. I would ride a few miles a day and then go to work. Then I really started to enjoy it. I purchased a bike for myself to take back to school with me. It is a trek 930 singletrack, and I love it. I have been riding 10+ miles a day before work. We (my dad, brother, and myself) have also been getting into mountain biking. Now I love just riding, it is great exercise and gives off some nice endorphins... but mountain biking is an adrenaline rush like no other. There are so great trails behind the park, thing like "Boneyard", "Darwins' revenge", and "zipline". I think you get the picture. These trails are amazing!!! If you are looking for an extremely fun and challenging ride, you need to give mountain biking a try. (just be sure to bring LOTS of water and towels to dry off when you are done).

Random thoughts about summer-
I am really going to miss playing in the praise band. I have been playing with them for a few years, so it is sad to have to leave them and go back to school.
I am going to miss all the space I have at home to put my stuff in. I now have to move back into a small little hole called a dorm and try to cram all of my belongings in a small space...
I am also going to miss being able just to sit and watch movies with Kami. There is really no where at school that we can just sit and watch a move; I am really going to miss that
I am going to miss our pool. They have one at school, but they close it every year after the summer is over... go figure.
leisure reading- I am really going to miss being able to read what I want, when I want. I love school and learning, but I also really like being able to read books that I chose to read.



Ok that is enough for one post. There will be more goodies later....





No comments: