04 May 2008

Freshman year in review

It is hard to believe that I am no longer a freshman in college. I have 40 hours behind me........ and many more hours in front of me( but that is for later). This is the time when I try to give everyone a recap of the first year of college. I will try to make it quick( it will be like watching a movie on fast-foreword 8x). I think it is best to use bulleted information.... hopefully you will gain some insight into the last 8 months of my life by reading this. 

- Late movies- Before college, Kami and I had never been to a late movie( one that started after about 8:30). The second week we were at school, we decided to go on an adventure to see a movie that did not start until 10:00. This was one of the first realizations that we were in college.
- Waffle House- sticky tables, greasy food, and the most interesting staff of characters. I am not sure how college students end up at waffle house( I had never even been to one except once last summer). I did some of my best studying there; Waffle House helped me make a 98 on my NT exam last semester. 
-Driving- I really like to drive and being in college game me a good reason to go exploring. kami and I have been all over the upstate. There have been parks, lakes, waterfalls, and we even drove over a mountain. We also made a few trips to Atlanta; where there I had many interesting driving experiences( I was honked at many times the 1st day, and one day I almost ran into a pedestrian........ driving there could make a man crazy). I have put quite a few thousand miles on my car this year.
- Dorm Life- I found out that I own much more clothes than other males my age. My closets at school were overflowing with clothes, and I still had a whole closet full of clothes at home( I also have to many shoes.... I had to leave most of them at home). I also learned that there are many interesting people out there. Living in the dorm means making new friends that you may not made if you did not have to live around them. I am thankful for the new friends I have made this year. 
-Church-I had a chance to get my feet into ministry this year. Tigerville was a great place to work. I gained so much experience and insight during my time there. Being away from home also gave me an opportunity to go and visit other churches. I feel like I have been able to branch out and visit other churches; I think this experience will help in the future.
- Naps- I learned the value of a good night... or afternoon's sleep. I remember not wanting to take naps in Kindergarden, but in college a nap was like a little present that made your day better. Even though I usually got 8 hours of sleep, there seemed to always be room for some R&R. 
-Homework- I had to do that this year. In high school, I could finish my work in class and study for 20 minutes before a test and make an A. That is not happening anymore. I have done more studying this year than I have done my whole life. 
- Exams- they may be the most stressful time in the world..... I have many more gray hairs now than when I started college. Even if your exams are not bad, you are still stressed. The last two weeks of school felt like two months. I am just glad they are over. Now I can read books I want to, and not have to write a paper or give a presentation on them. 
- Friends- I have made some great friendships this year. I am so glad to have new friends; it has been great to make new friendships this year. That will be what I miss this summer; I will not miss homework or papers, but I will miss the people from school.
- College- it has been a great experience. I do not think there is anything like college, and I am not sure I can even begin to explain it in one sitting( or 5). But for your eyes sake of reading this, I will finish up.

I have had a great semester. It has not always been easy, but it has been worth it. I am ready for summer, but I think that by the end of the summer I will be ready to go back to Tigerville to start another year of school. But until then, I am going to enjoy my time off. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice sum up of the year. I learned a lot of the same things. You put it very nicely. Miss you and Kami. Have a great summer ministering to others.
hannah frazier