21 January 2008

The Heart of worship( and everything else!)


Before playing at BSU last week, Kami and I were standing outside the chapel getting ready to go up and play. She looked at me and gave me a letter. There was a note inside that said this
Psalm 119:175, "let me live that I may praise you."
The End.
As I read that note, I was reminded what leading worship, and my life, was really all about. It is about praising God, and letting that praise resound to everyone around me. I am here to praise. Chris Tomlin says in one of his songs that 'you and I were made to worship.' That is it, the end, nothing more, just praise for God. If were are living to praise God in all we do, everything else will fall in line.
It was so great to be reminded of that before leading worship. It is such a freeing feeling to know that it is not about me, my singing, playing, or my abilities; it is about living to praise God. It is something that I must remind myself about every day; it is not about me!
That night at BSU was amazing! It was not because there were no mistakes, mess ups, or sound problems( because there were all of those) It was amazing because it was about God, and that was shown in the audience as they lifted their hands and their hearts. Worship is about giving it all back God.
It was so great to be reminded about what worship really is, and it came in one verse, Psalm 119:175, "Let me live that I may praise you."
The end!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey man,
I just saw your blog thanks to your facebook profile. I'm so excited to see how God is using you to lead others in praising His Name. Until recently, I didn't know where you had decided to go to college. I am very pleased that you chose NGU. Many of my friends at SBTS went there and speak very highly of it.

I'm leading worship now too. I help in an Adult Bible Fellowship at my church in Louisville. The VP of the seminary is our teacher. It is simply the most amazing Bible study I have ever been in. If you want to hear some crazy awesome preaching/teaching you should look at our study's website deansclass.com

Once again, I cannot tell you how excited I am for you. You are learning many important principles in your worship leading that will benefit you and the people you serve for many years to come.