03 March 2009

Left-Brained Worship. Part 4

Do Nothing

“You can do nothing wrong and still do nothing right” –Mark Batterson

The Church prides herself on the absence of wrong, but where is the right?
Where is the right in our personal life?

I believe the most effective worship leaders are those who live a life of worship. Those who break through the fog of planning, set lists, PowerPoint, and sound checks, and seek the face of God. Worship leaders who spend more time on their knees then on stage.

My favorite verse is Psalm 51:15.
“Oh Lord, open my lips that my mouth may declare your praise.”

Every time I read it, I am convicted. I put my agenda above God’s on stage sometimes; I say what I want rather than what God desires. I am reminded of the verse in Isaiah where he says that our deed and righteous works are like filthy rags.
Those deeds don’t sound so good anymore…

I have no life-changing power of my own, but Christ is full of it. He is in the business of changing lives. That is what Psalm 51:15 is so powerful in my life. The times that God has shown up, in a way no one could imagine, I was the most transparent. That has become my prayer; I want to be invisible on stage. The only thing I want them to see when someone looks at me is my joy in Christ. Everything else is just a gross filthy rag anyway. I want to do the most right, not the least wrong. Doing the most right means taking myself off the pedestal, and getting on my knees. I pray that I become nothing, so God becomes everything. John 3:30 “I must decrease, He must increase.”

No comments: